Parish Life Coordinator
Job Description and Qualifications
Holy Canadian Martyrs Parish, Ottawa, Ontario
100 Main Street, Ottawa ON K1S 1C2
Canadian Martyrs Parish, a welcoming and inclusive Roman Catholic faith community near downtown Ottawa, is seeking to fill the position of Parish Life Coordinator. This position encompasses a broad range of responsibilities. Serving as a member of the pastoral team, the parish life coordinator works closely with the parish’s ministries and committees to identify and respond to the needs of parishioners in a life-giving pastoral environment, where challenges are faced in a spirit of collaboration and consensus. The Parish Life Coordinator facilitates the on-going functions of the parish, guides sacramental preparation and other ministry programs, and reflects an attitude of welcome, openness and approachability. The position requires an individual who, in equal parts, embodies professional competence and a warm welcoming personality. Working in collaboration with the pastor and office administrator, the parish life coordinator touches almost all facets of the life and organization of the parish.
- Assists the pastor and the Liturgy Committee with the preparation and delivery of liturgical programs in the parish. Assists the pastor with tasks pertaining to funerals.
- Recruits, trains, and develops leaders for various liturgical ministries and community organizations, e.g., Youth Group, Development and Peace, Pastoral Care Team, Truth and Reconciliation Committee, and Centretown Churches Social Action Committee.
- In collaboration with the pastoral team, maintains the calendar for liturgical and parish events for the year and meets weekly to prepare for the events.
- Is available for pastoral conversations and spiritual support for parishioners.
- Coordinates the liturgical life of the parish, particularly weekend liturgies, and is an active presence.
- Leads or ensures quality leadership of sacramental preparation for all ages.
- In collaboration with the Faith Formation Committee, plans various adult faith formation programs, including retreats, workshops, and talks.
- Facilitates small groups of parishioners in conjunction with the pastor and lay volunteers e.g., faith study/development, Laudato Si’, Care for Creation, Indigenous TRC.
- As part of the Pastoral Team, serves as liaison to the parish’s committees and ministries, to ensure they are aware of expectations and responsibilities.
- Attends monthly Parish Pastoral Council meetings, Archdiocesan Pastoral Day meetings and other committee meetings as needed.
- Represents the parish at community gatherings and with ecumenical and inter-religious organizations as well as Immaculata Catholic High School.
In recognition of the broad scope of responsibilities and activities, the Parish Life Coordinator is able to work to develop teams of volunteers to facilitate all of the above.
Qualifications: The Ideal Candidate…
- is an active Roman Catholic, and has good familiarity with the Church’s liturgy;
- possesses a Master of Divinity or equivalent pastoral degree, with a solid foundation in sacramental theology, liturgy, and pastoral care;
- is able to work the irregular hours that are part of an active parish;
- has strong communications skills: oral, written and presentation;
- demonstrates leadership ability and is able to work with others collaboratively, independently, and in team situations, by both delegating and accepting delegation;
- possesses strong organizational and time management skills, and has basic computer proficiency;
- is compassionate, respectful, and able to maintain confidentiality
The Fine Print:
- Hours: approx. 28-30 per week
- Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Benefit package available to 20+ hour/week employees.
- Must pass a police check and the Archdiocesan Safe Environment program.
- References will be requested of those called for an interview.